Best Online High Schools
An online high school, also known as cyber-school or virtual school, is an alternative to the traditional classroom-style setting. The curriculum and instruction take place via the internet using various tools, such as conference software, chat and email.
The instructors and students are generally in remote locations and students often participate at their own pace. Online high schools are a small portion of the high school landscape in the United States, but they are one of the fastest-growing options.
Compare Reviews for Top Online High Schools
Read 145 Reviews
Whitmore School is an accredited online high school and was founded in 1994. With a 24/7 program available for students, our students can enroll anytime and start at their earliest convenience.
|Epic Charter Schools|
Read 129 Reviews
Epic Charter Schools are online public schools for kids in Pre-K through high school. Epic is a public school, so it is tuition-free and accredited by Oklahoma State Department of Education.
Read 129 Reviews
Founded in 1999, K12 is the largest for-profit online education company, with 58 schools including free public and tuition-based private schools and supplemental curriculum providers. K12’s available schools vary by state.
Read 14 Reviews
Connections Academy is a tuition-free virtual academy. It offers courses in select areas for students from kindergarten through high school. Users can input their zip codes to find out what services are offered in their area.
|Penn Foster High School|
Read 26 Reviews
Penn Foster offers students the ability to customize their curriculum and schedule to meet their academic and other needs. Users can choose between online and print textbooks so they can learn in the way that's best for them.
|The Keystone School|
Read 26 Reviews
The Keystone School offers customized educational programs online. Students can enroll in a comprehensive program or take individual courses not available at their brick-and-mortar schools to supplement their education.
|James Madison High School|
Read 33 Reviews
James Madison High School allows traditional high school students, 星空娱乐app下载安装schoolers and older people who have not yet received a high school diploma to study at their convenience and fulfill requirements to graduate.
|Florida Virtual School|
Read 14 Reviews
Florida Virtual School is an online school that offers coursework for K-12 students in the United States. 星空娱乐app下载安装schooled students and those in public and private schools can take courses.
|Laurel Springs School|
Read 20 Reviews
Founded in 1991, Laurel Springs is a fully accredited, online private school for grades K-12. Laurel Springs assists students to enter their top choice for college and has a current college acceptance rate of 91 percent.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
What features matter most for online high schools?
Many families choose online high school due to the need for an alternative education. Online high schools can offer curriculums that are tailored to the needs and goals of the student.
- Honors/AP classes: Gifted students, especially those in underserved areas, can benefit from a full range of Honors and AP classes offered by online high schools.
- Technical training classes: Students who would like more preparation in specific areas beyond a general high school curriculum may find appropriate classes for credit at online high schools.
- College preparatory: Ideal for students planning to attend a 4-year college or university.
- General studies: Geared toward students planning to attend a community college, trade school, joining the military or jumping directly into the workforce after graduation.
National and regional accreditation ensures online high schools are in compliance with federal regulations and are using high standards of academic quality.
- National accreditation: There are national accrediting bodies for online high schools, the most recognized being the Distance Education Accrediting Commission.
- Regional accreditation: Regional accreditation is more common in the online high school industry. AdvanED, the world’s largest educational accreditor, is the parent organization of the following regional accreditors: the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS-CASI), the North Central Association Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI), and the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC).
- State accreditation: Some online high schools are public schools and are accredited by the states in which they operate, just like their brick and mortar counterparts.
Alternate ways to earn credit
With some online high schools, students can get credit from previous education, life and work experiences. This can save time and money.
- Credit for experience: Some online high schools offer credit for life and work experience — this is especially attractive for older learners. Usually, an assessment is necessary to earn credit.
- Transfer credits: Often, a student's credits from other accredited high schools can be transferred. In some cases, an assessment test may be necessary.
- Earn college credit: Some online high schools offer students the ability to earn college credit while still in high school. These credits can be used towards a high school diploma as well as a college degree.
Payment options can be a big factor for some families. Many online high schools offer different types of payment options from flexible to free.
- Free tuition: Some online high schools are public and therefore free of charge.
- Flexible course purchase: While some programs require payment of full tuition for an academic period, other online high schools allow for payment of individual courses if a student just needs supplemental course work.
- Financing: Some online high schools offer financing which can often be free of interest and financing charges.
- Scholarships: Those needing assistance with tuition and equipment costs may be able to find online high schools that offer scholarships.
A student's success can often be traced back to the support they receive in their educational journey. This is also true in the world of online high schools.
- Academic counselors: Most online high schools provide parents and students with an academic counselor. The counselor works with families to create an education plan that meets the goals and needs of the student.
- Peer support: Students at online high schools often find many ways to enjoy peer support, either through forums, chat rooms, social media and sometimes in-person community events.
- Teacher support: Families may turn to online high school as a way to provide their child with more one-on-one support from teachers than is possible in the traditional academic setting.
What are the different types of online high schools?
Education Management Organization (EMO)
These virtual schools are operated by an organization focused specifically on education. EMOs can be non-profit but are more often for-profit.
Virtual schools that are operated by states and school districts are tuition-free public charter or magnet schools, chartered by the state to provide education. Many districts contract with an EMO in order to provide students with an online curriculum option or other educational support services.
Some private online high schools serve students who need a flexible schedule not available in traditional schools. This includes Olympic athletes, musicians, actors, artists, or those dedicated to an alternative schedule that conflicts with traditional high school hours. Many private online high schools are aimed at gifted students and often serve as a feeder program into major universities. There is a tuition charge which can be significantly higher than the other types of online high schools.
Who attends online high schools?
Advanced Placement (AP) students
Gifted students, students interested in college-prep and those with a specific focus can benefit from online high school offerings.
Many 星空娱乐app下载安装-schooled students choose online high schools for a college preparatory curriculum in order to earn a high school diploma from an accredited institution that will be accepted by colleges and universities. Some 星空娱乐app下载安装-schooled students choose to supplement their education with an online school to obtain a diploma.
Adults who have not yet earned a high school diploma and are looking to advance their career and increase their employment options often turn to online high school.
Families who move often may opt for online high school to keep education consistent in varying locations. Accredited online high schools are considered Tier 1 schools by all branches of the military.
Online high school expert reviews
Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.
Epic Charter Schools are free, public schools for students in Pre-K through 12th grade. It lets students complete their classes online, but it doesn’t require students to spend a certain number of hours online each day. The school also hosts in-person activities, like field trips, prom and a graduation ceremony. In-person events usually take place in Oklahoma City.
James Madison High School is a self-paced school that provides full academic support — including teacher support, a blog and a question and answer forum. James Madison is an accredited school and has graduated tens of thousands of students.
Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest 星空娱乐app下载安装school accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their 星空娱乐app下载安装 states.
The Keystone School is a private, tuition-based online school. Started in 1974, The Keystone School was one of the first in the industry to develop distance learning and online schooling. The Keystone School has had students from all 50 states and nearly 100 countries.
Founded in 1991, Laurel Springs is a private online school with a large course offering and full academic support. It is designed as a college preparatory school geared toward the personal interests and the aptitudes of each student. Laurel Springs also focuses on community and building a sense of school pride.
Connections Academy is a virtual education organization that provides a free public online school for grades K-12, as well as a tuition-based online private school. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education LLC.
Accredited in 1972, Penn Foster High School is located in Pennsylvania and licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools. The school has a focus on lifelong learning as well as traditional high school education.
Florida Virtual School is an online school located in Florida, but open to students throughout the United States. Classes are free to Florida residents and available on a paid basis for those outside the state.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!